Step 1 - Find out your SSL product type:
Note: Each Thawte SSL product requires the installation of a different Intermediate CA file, you need to know which SSL product you have to download the correct Intermediate CA file in order for your SSL to work correctly. Installing the wrong Intermediate CA file will result in an incomplete installation.
Skip to step 2 if you already know your Thawte SSL product type. If you're unsure, locate your certificate order by doing search from the following link and it will display your SSL product type: https://ssl-certificate-center.thawte.com/process/retail/out_console_search?
Step 2 - Download the Thawte Intermediate CA file for your SSL product type:
Note: You MUST install correct Thawte Intermediate CA file on your server for your SSL certificate to work and be fully supported in all web browsers.
Select your SSL product type below to download the Thawte Intermediate CA (Right Click on link & Save)
- Thawte SSL123
- SSL Web Server or Wildcard
- SSL Web Server with EV
- Thawte SGC (Server Gated Cryptography SSL) SuperCert
- Thawte Trial SSL
Step 3 - Create a Certificate Snap-in:
If you are running Service Pack 4 or above, please follow these steps:
- Install the CA certificate file by double clicking on the file, expand the folder and double click on each intermediate file. This will start an installation wizard
- Select Place all certificates in the following store and click browse
- Select Show physical stores
- Select Trusted Root Certification Authorities
- Select Local Computer, click OK
- When back in the wizard, click Next, click Finish
- Repeat the same for the Intermediate CA Certificate however choose to place the certificates in the Intermediate Certification Authorities store
Step 4 - Install the Intermediate CA file:
- From the left pane, Expand the 'Intermediate Certification Authorities' folder
- Right-Click on 'Certificates' folder
- Click All Tasks > Import
- In the Certificate Import Wizard, Click Next
- Click on Browse and locate the Intermediate CA Certificate File (The PKCS#7 file you downloaded in step 2)
- Click Next
- Select option 'Place all certificates in the following store'
- Click Browse button and select 'Intermediate Certification Authorities'
- Click OK
- Click Next
- Click Finish
If you are running Service Pack 3, please follow these steps:
- You need to download two separate Intemediate CA for your SSL product type from the following solution AR1384
- Rename the Intermediate CA files from .pem to .cer
- Install the two Intemediate CA file by opening each certificate and clicking "Install Certificate"
- Run %SystemRoot%\system32\inetsrv\iisca.exe to transfer all Intermediate certificates from your Internet Explorer to the IIS and then restart the machine.
Note: Please restart your web server for the changes to propagate immediately. If you choose not to restart the server, restart the webservice and allow upto 30minutes for the changes to take effect.
Verify the installation of the Thawte certificate chain using our SSL checker:
Thawte has made efforts to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information in this document. However, Thawte makes no warranties of any kind (whether express, implied or statutory) with respect to the information contained herein. Thawte assumes no liability to any party for any loss or damage (whether direct or indirect) caused by any errors, omissions, or statements of any kind contained in this document. Further, Thawte assumes no liability arising from the application or use of the product or service described herein and specifically disclaims any representation that the products or services described herein do not infringe upon any existing or future intellectual property rights. Nothing herein grants the reader any license to make, use, or sell equipment or products constructed in accordance with this document. Finally, all rights and privileges related to any intellectual property right described herein are vested in the patent, trademark, or service mark owner, and no other person may exercise such rights without express permission, authority, or license secured from the patent, trademark, or service mark owner. Thawte reserves the right to make changes to any information herein without further notice.